[sf-lug] sf-lug.{com,info} --> www.sf-lug.org (canonical)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Jan 2 00:31:48 PST 2016

> In previous discussions with Jim, he indicated that the use of
> sf-lug.org for the mailing list in the future would be welcomed to the
> exclusion of any other SMTP behavior, and you at that time said that
> nothing in the MTA configuration prevented it.

That sounds _vaguely_ familiar (now that you mention it).  Only, I have
no idea offhand what _specifically_ would make that so.  Probably I did
some checking at the time, but can't remember.

Seems to me, you should test that assumption first, e.g., point
example.com's domain's MX record at linuxmafia.com, send mail to
'rick at example.com', and make sure I get it.   (Substitute some real
domain for example.com.)

Then there's the problem of the MLM.  ISTR that GNU Mailman must be
specifically configured for each additional FQDN whose mailing list it
must regard as valid.  For example, through some time in 2010, GNU
Mailman on my server also handled four mailing lists under the guise of
'lists.linuxgazette.net'.  Those mailing list are still present, but not
within the namespace of linuxmafia.com.  (If you make your /etc/hosts
map 'lists.linuxgazette.net' to my IP, you'll see the four derelict
Linux Gazette mailing lists.)

Thus, if you want a 'lists.sf-lug.org' namespace to be valid within my
Mailman instance, I don't believe that's going to happen automagically
without local configuration such as I did for Linux Gazette back in the
2000s.

OTOH, if you think you can make some improvement or other work merely by
making an sf-lug.org/sf-lug.com DNS change, by all means give it a try.
(In which case, you wouldn't need to assign me homework, which suits
me.) I advise checking your work.