[sf-lug] sf-lug.{com,info} --> www.sf-lug.org (canonical)

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Fri Jan 1 22:09:19 PST 2016

Jim,

And at least that bit is mostly* done.

These domains:
[www.][ipv6.]sf-lug.info
now* do 301 ("permanent") redirect to
www.[ipv6.]sf-lug.org
(the ipv6. portion, if present, is preserved,
the [www.]ipv6.sf-lug.{org,com,info} being IPv6 only (no A records)).

*DNS changes are still percolating through expiration of TTLs -
should be 100% effective within a few days or less - I'll leave what
does/doesn't
fully work yet, and from where, as an exercise for the curious.

If after 72 hours, any of what's described above in this email appears
not to be
fully operational on The Internet at large, feel free to let me know
(preferably on
list), and I'll have a look (but I'm not here to troubleshoot anyone
and everyone's
much more localized problems).

I've also similarly set up
[www.][ipv6.]sf-lug.com --> www.[ipv6.]sf-lug.org

So canonical domain is sf-lug.org, with www.[ipv6.]sf-lug.org for web site.

We can simply *not* renew the sf-lug.info when it expires - not much value to
having it, but so long as it's there - well, might as well redirect it
somewhere
useful.

sf-lug.org presumably will be renewed in perpetuity :-) ... but after
moving registrars.

sf-lug.com ?  Judgement call.  Doesn't hurt much to keep it, but
longer term, probably
not essential (unless one really wants to prevent someone else from
grabbing the
sf-lug.com domain name) - but short to medium term, probably best to
keep it around
a while, as sf-lug.com and sf-lug.org have both been used alot, without either
being particularly set as canonical (though sf-lug.org, as I'd
mentioned earlier
has both longer history, and is also more what folks would expect for a
Linux User Group, as opposed to .com).

Oh, and sf-lug.org will probably always get one to www.sf-lug.com, but
for web,
www.sf-lug.org is the proper canonical.

Also, don't have a proper SSL cert for the sf-lug.info domains yet,
but probably will
also get around to that, to cover the bases.  sf-lug.org (and
sf-lug.com) have proper
SSL certs - at least for the https domain names that are reasonably legitimate
https access names.

references/excerpts:

$ (domain=sf-lug; for www in 'www.' ''; do for ipv6 in '' 'ipv6.'; do
for tld in org com; do h="$www$ipv6$domain.$tld"; echo "$h" $(curl
--silent -I http://"$h"/ | sed -ne 's/^M$//;s/^HTTP\/[^ ]*
\([0-9][0-9]*\) .*/\1/p;s/^Location: \(..*\)$/\1/p'); done; done; done)
www.sf-lug.org 200
www.sf-lug.com 301 http://www.sf-lug.org/
www.ipv6.sf-lug.org 200
www.ipv6.sf-lug.com 301 http://www.ipv6.sf-lug.org/
sf-lug.org 301 http://www.sf-lug.org/
sf-lug.com 301 http://www.sf-lug.org/
ipv6.sf-lug.org 301 http://www.ipv6.sf-lug.org/
ipv6.sf-lug.com 301 http://www.ipv6.sf-lug.org/
$ (domain=sf-lug; for www in 'www.' ''; do for ipv6 in '' 'ipv6.'; do
for tld in info; do h="$www$ipv6$domain.$tld"; echo "$h" $(curl
--insecure --silent -I http://"$h"/ | sed -ne 's/^M$//;s/^HTTP\/[^ ]*
\([0-9][0-9]*\) .*/\1/p;s/^Location: \(..*\)$/\1/p'); done; done; done)
www.sf-lug.info 301 http://www.sf-lug.org/
www.ipv6.sf-lug.info 301 http://www.ipv6.sf-lug.org/
$