[sf-lug] correction/clarification/(un?)helpful/intention/attitude/ ???

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Mon Dec 21 22:19:54 PST 2015

On Mon, 2015-12-21 at 21:43 -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> 'Not lifted a finger at all' referred to Daniel not having lifted a
> finger _to help_.  To review:

My very first message in this thread gave Maestro the suggestion which
eventually solved his original problem. You then chimed in with a wealth
of mostly correct information, only a fraction of which directly
addressed his issue. Your doing so was exactly the kind of "value add"
Michael is talking about. Shortly thereafter, the roles reversed, and
you were giving the primary helpful info while I switched to the asides,
and that is where Michael took notice. You stated that this behavior
discourages you from involving yourself at all, and that's
understandable, considering it does the same to me with the shoe on the
other foot, as evidenced by my subsequent offer to leave the
conversation. In general, I'm ill-suited to being a repository of
information, so I tend to approach problems with "Have you tried…?" off
the bat. However, I am not correct in doing so, since others invariably
run into similar issues and don't get the benefit. Given this limitation
of mine, I'm left to ponder whether the community may be better served
if I ended my involvement in it altogether. I simply don't know anymore.