[sf-lug] correction/clarification/(un?)helpful/intention/attitude/ ???

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Mon Dec 21 20:27:08 PST 2015

Hmmmmm...

I thought the comment/correction/clarification was helpful and a
"value add" ...
I think I'd count that as at least bothering to lift a finger (did
presumably require
some typing after all).  Okay, perhaps a bit terse, and perhaps up to
highly ambiguous
regarding intent/attitude, but I don't see anything inherently
implying negative
attitude or the like.

And unfortunately, humans, being, well, ... human and all that, ... if
there's ambiguity,
I think the stats are something like 90% of the time folks will
interpret the more/most
negative - most especially if it applies to themselves.

So, there tend to be these social conventions more-or-less followed,
to sprinkle niceties
about (please, thank you, etc.).  Easy to forget 'em (I certainly
manage to often omit),
as they mostly don't really add to the *information* content.

2+2=4

If you would please, 2+2=4, if you would kindly accept that, thank you
very much.

Well, expectations do matter ... context, cultures, even familial
differences or other
circumstances (e.g. work, or even what context within what work),
maybe even what someone(s)
did or didn't have for breakfast or whatever.

And personal preferences matter ... and differ.  E.g. most of the time
I could/would
rather do without those "niceties" - and just go with relevant
facts/information to
get done or work towards what's to be done/resolved, ... but, okay, sure, an
occasional and sincere light sprinkling ... but mostly without.

In other contexts those niceties may be effectively necessities - may
need to be the
(social) lubricant that gets the gears to turn - or turn smoothly.

And also, email - the communication is quite "flat" - body language,
intonation,
effectively quite stripped of all that - so further ambiguity and
greater probability
of misinterpretation (e.g. jokes or "playful teasing" can be
hazardous, and quite
backfire).

Not really at all to pick out any specific examples, but just
commenting a bit generally
on the matter.

Seems there ought be some kind of "rule"/approach/handy saying? :-) ...
be careful/cautious on the interpretation - try not to read into it
more than is
there, nor infer negative or more negative than what is or was
probably intended
(and us being mere humans, that one is dang hard to get anywhere close
to correct,
can we blame evolution and/or psychology?).  And on the flip side, try
to be reasonably
careful in the writing - often things may be interpreted in a rather
to quite negative
sense, when that's not at all the intent.  And, probably doesn't
generally hurt to
at least occasionally sprinkle in some nicety(/ies) ... err at least a
wee bit on the
side of caution?

Anyway, just my $0.02 worth, or so.  And no, not sure what the earlier of the
referred to "the second time in a row" was or may have been - I was
aiming to address
more generally, rather than to attempt to at all pick apart this
specific one (or
series or whatever).

And bus vs. PCI ID?  Did kind'a about half catch my eye on first pass - but I
didn't check, or look that closely or comment upon it ... I probably
approximately
thought folks would figure it out and/or if something wasn't quite
correct someone
would likely manage to mention it ... and so it came to pass.

And yes, thanks, both, and all, for your valuable contributions!
(and, yep, almost forgot to include that last bit!  8-O! ... and does that
tend to change interpretations or approximations thereof?  Probably, and maybe
even significantly.  But would the intent or attitude be different?  No, but
inferred intent/attitude would likely be at least somewhat to perhaps
significantly different).