[sf-lug] Intel graphics chipsets (was /firmware/radeon)

maestro maestro415 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 13:33:27 PST 2015

quick sidenote:
some distros now no longer include lshw in their install 'bundle'.
experienced users know already (they can stop reading this now.) but for
newer folks you can install lshw and other commands with your package
manager...

hence...

my fedora install disc didn't include lshw

so i...

code:
#dnf install lshw

and there it be now.

'usually' it is merely a case of distros getting to the same output(info)
via different commands that go to the same place.

since i have run into some that didn't know you can install commands
thought i'd share.

message ends.
______________

On Mon, Dec 21, 2015 at 8:41 AM, Michael Paoli <
Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> dmidecode and lshw may be helpful.
>
> From: "Akkana Peck" <akkana at shallowsky.com>
>> Subject: [sf-lug] Intel graphics chipsets (was /firmware/radeon)
>> Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2015 09:23:39 -0700
>>

> A side question, not part of maestro's problem: how do you find out
>> the chipset on Intel machines? If I run lspci | grep VGA on this
>> Lenovo X201, it says:
>>
>> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor
>> Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
>>
>> Not very specific. lspci | grep Intel isn't any more helpful.
>> And they made the X201 for a long time with multiple chipsets,
>> so googling doesn't tell me what's in my specific machine.
>>
>> The last time Xorg broke on this machine, I spent lot of time
>> searching but never did find a reliable way to figure out which
>> Intel graphics I had. That time, I ended up making an xorg.conf with
>>     Option "AccelMethod" "uxa"
>> which some people were reporting as helpful on some Intel machines,
>> and it seems to have done the trick so far. But I'd still like to
>> know what chipset I have.

*~the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear...*