[sf-lug] /firmware/radeon

maestro maestro415 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 21:41:22 PST 2015

quoting rick:

>Er, shouldn't you have at the _very_ minimum have posted the exact model
>designation?  I'm sorry, but when I saw this bit, I had a sinking
>feeling about the rest.

>In the rest, it appeared as if the required firmware BLOB for some ATI
>Radeon chipset was unable to load, but _what_ Radeon chipset?  If you'd
>bothered to post the Toshiba model designation, it might have been
>possible to figure out the video chipset, but since your description
>went off the rails right at the beginning, the rest of us cannot
>research your video chipset.

>If you wanted to be truly helpful in helping others help you, you could
>have posted the results of getting your video chip data from lspci, like
>maybe...

>$ lspci | grep VGA

see, as i noted @ end of original msg. i felt i may have MISSED
something(s) in a stupid way.
that's excellent bonking me on the head, thank you and please ALL forgive
me.

>I mean, c'mon, really.  You have the information about what hardware
>this is, right in front of you.  It should have been obvious that that's
>critical information, but you didn't include it.  So, what, we're
>supposed to guess?  You honestly think that's how getting 'an assist'
>works?  By magic?  Midichlorians?

so true. tired & multiple tabs open but that's NO EXCUSE. midichlorians?
you went deep into the magic hat for that one.

>Knowing what video chipset you have should permit a sufficiently
>determined helper to look up what firmware BLUB file it needs, and then
>what Debian package contains it.

indeed.

>As Daniel suggested, package firmware-linux-nonfree is a very strong
>possibility -- and installing it can't hurt

yup, installed both now, and thank you daniel as well, of course being a
DUMBASS i hadn't added the non-free to /etc/apt/sources.list after
'RE'install as it has to be done 'manually', so the non-free package wasn't
coming up.

upon first reboot after installing the firmware-linux-nonfree as well, no
radeon firware loading errors.

thanks very much daniel and rick...

and additional thanks to you rick for looking up that other 'info' ...

[solved]
code:
#apt-get install firmware-linux-free
#vi /etc/apt/sources.list
add-in debian non-free sources from the debian firmware wiki or other...
#apt-get update
#apt-get install firmware-linux-nonfree
#apt-get update and #apt-get upgrade if you want
#reboot

falafrickingla

thanks again folks...

there are no stupid solutions just stupid people and stupid questions

message ends.
________________

On Sun, Dec 20, 2015 at 8:43 PM, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > [   11.298436] radeon 0000:01:05.0: Disabling GPU acceleration
>
> It may be of interest that the 'DRM' here does not stand for Digital
> Restrictions Management (what Our Lords in Hollywood call 'Digital
> Rights Management') but rather Direct Rendering Manager.  (I am way out
> of date on this stuff, but just now looked that up.)
>
> 'R100' is one of the major generational categories (families) of ATI
> Radeon chipsets, and there are also 'R200' and 'R300' families of video
> chips -- among others.
>
> Here are some background docs about the 'drm' driver code, its pieces,
> and how it all works together:  http://www.botchco.com/agd5f/?p=50
>
> > [   11.298489] [drm] radeon: cp finalized
>
> 'cp' here is not the command /bin/cp, but rather Command Processor, a
> hardware component name, part of the Radeon Graphics Processor Unit
> (GPU).  (Again, I've just now looked that up, and am passing it along
> for the interested.)
>
> > #dmesg | grep firmware
> > gives...
> > [   10.405558] radeon 0000:01:05.0: firmware: failed to load
> radeon/R300_cp.bin (-2)
> > [   10.405726] radeon 0000:01:05.0: Direct firmware load failed with
> error -2
> > [   11.298320] [drm:r100_cp_init] *ERROR* Failed to load firmware!
>
> (By the way, please don't line-wrap pasted lines of code.  That makes them
> painful and difficult to read.  I've unwrapped the above.)
>
> Ah.  Some searching on '0000:01:05.0' suggests that this is the PCI ID
> of an ATI RS482 [Radeon Xpress 200M].
>
> I'll bet that, if you were to post the super-obvious data from lspci,
> you'd have posted:
>
> $ lspci | grep VGA
> 01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RS482 [Radeon
> Xpress 200M]
> $
>
> That's a pretty old Radeon chip.  FYI, sometimes old chips cease to
> be supported by ongoing driver sets.  Rare, but it happens.
> This Ubuntu page says that the 'RS482 [Radeon Xpress 200M]' is is a
> 'RS400/RS480' Radeon engineering name.
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver
> This X.org Project page says 'RS400/RS480' engineering names
> belong to the _R300_ family (ta-da!), your specific chip having
> marketing name '200M'.  Anyway, R300 -- so we're getting somewhere.
>
> I'm betting that the correct firmware BLOB file for the Xpress 200M
> file is going to be /lib/firmware/radeon/R300_cp.bin, and that Debian
> supplies that BLOB in package firmware-linux-nonfree .  So, install that
> package.  It will be (obviously) in the 'non-free' package collection,
> for which you might need to enable the package source in aptitude or
> whatever you're using as a package tool.  (Personally, I've never cared
> for aptitude, and use apt-get.)
>
> If you eventually cannot get the open-source 'radeon' driver to work,
> don't forget, as a last resort, you _can_ switch to ATI's proprietary,
> binary-only 'fglrx' aka AMD Catalyst driver.

*~the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear...*