[sf-lug] Eric P. Scott ... remote desktop support software?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Dec 7 12:54:25 PST 2015

> I'm curious too, if anyone knows/remembers ... Eric had mentioned some
> software, free as in beer, but not freedom, from, I believe he said it
> was some German company, which had both Linux and Microsoft Windows
> clients, which was quite useful for remote desktop support of both
> Microsoft Windows and Linux if I recall correctly.  E.g. one could use
> client on Linux and be able to see and interact with "grandma's" (or
> whomever's) Linux or Microsoft Windows screen, I think all "grandma"
> had to do, was click one icon or launch one program to activate it and
> allow that remote connection and assistance - and maybe type in some
> short number to allow the specific client to be able to connect .  And
> quite usefully, it also worked if either or both ends were NATed, and
> didn't have direct Internet reachable IP addresses.  Anyway, curious
> if anyone happens to know or recall that particular software - I know
> Eric mentioned it before, and I'm sure I heard him make mention of it
> more than once.

The German company was doubtless TeamViewer GmbH, and the proprietary
program the 'TeamViewer' codebase.

Mentioned on my page 'VNC and Similar' on
http://linuxmafia.com/kb/Legacy_Microsoft/ , which also catalogues many
other open source and proprietary options.

Greetings from Gustavia, Saint Barthélemy, French West Indies!