[sf-lug] Eric P. Scott ... remote desktop support software?

Chris Sterling chris at cgnp.com
Mon Dec 7 10:18:50 PST 2015

First post here, hello SF-LUG.

That sounds like Teamviewer - very cross platform, works well behind
firewalls, and is a lifesaver for helping non-literate computer people.
There is an iOS/Androd version as well - even ChromeOS now.  I use
Teamviewer for family computer support, and also the paid version for
work.  The commercial version is a around couple thousand dollars, and I'm
a little concerned about the overall security, but it's become ubiquitous,
and my support staff loves it.

https://www.teamviewer.com

On Mon, Dec 7, 2015 at 7:12 AM, Michael Paoli <
Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> Yup, I also continue to miss him, as I'm sure many do.  Not only wonderful
> helpful guy, but a wellspring of practical useful information (and on
> quite a
> variety of subject matters!) which I also continue to miss.
>
> I'm curious too, if anyone knows/remembers ... Eric had mentioned some
> software, free as in beer, but not freedom, from, I believe he said it was
> some German company, which had both Linux and Microsoft Windows clients,
> which
> was quite useful for remote desktop support of both Microsoft Windows and
> Linux
> if I recall correctly.  E.g. one could use client on Linux and be able to
> see
> and interact with "grandma's" (or whomever's) Linux or Microsoft Windows
> screen,
> I think all "grandma" had to do, was click one icon or launch one program
> to activate
> it and allow that remote connection and assistance - and maybe type in
> some short number
> to allow the specific client to be able to connect .  And quite usefully,
> it also
> worked if either or both ends were NATed, and didn't have direct Internet
> reachable
> IP addresses.  Anyway, curious if anyone happens to know or recall that
> particular
> software - I know Eric mentioned it before, and I'm sure I heard him make
> mention
> of it more than once.
>
> From: "Daniel Gimpelevich" <daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us>
>> Subject: Re: [sf-lug] SF-LUG meeting of Sunday 6 December 2015
>> Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2015 18:34:35 -0800
>>

> On Mon, 2015-12-07 at 01:21 +0000, jim wrote:
>>
>>> Hey, it was like Christmas came to SF-LUG,
>>> especially for Joseph. I can't speak for others,
>>> but I missed Eric Scott.
>>>

>> I wasn't able to attend, but I continue to miss him every other day.

Chris Sterling
chris at cgnp.com
707-230-9349