[sf-lug] SF-LUG meeting notes from Monday November 16, 2015

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Wed Nov 18 14:29:29 PST 2015

Hi LUGers,

     5:50 PM arrived at Cafe Enchante due to slow running
buses on the 38 line.
     Maestro already there.  He wants to talk about
networks and he left a bit early.  He showed us the
way he had his desktop setup.  His computer showed
disconnected though it seemed to be connected?

     Todd H. was there as well, interested in trying out Fedora 23
as he is using Linux Mint Debian.  Given several disks to
try out including a copy of Knoppix as well as the Fedora 23
  versions he was interested in.

     Joseph P. came in shortly and he is having trouble
with his computers. They have become unreliable.
Jim and he discussed it on the way home.

     Todd also having problems with his Windows partition
and advised to use Knoppix tools on the Windows partition:
KlamAV or some other similarly named tool being part of the
Knoppix tool sets.
     I demoed the latest Quirky Puppy Werewolf64-7.3,
     Looks just like any other Puppy but for the scary werewolf mascot
on the page.
Green to cream with all the volumes iconified at the bottom of the page
over the
  task bar.  Little cartoons of internal hard drives, external drives
are represented
as cartoons of USB drives.  Click on them  folder icon opens windows with
  file manager capabilities. So that you can go from iconified to
detailed listing of
files.
     Werewolf does not have UEFI capability. I think they may be
planning for this.
     It was easy to get online and to import my old bookmarks file in .html.
      SeaMonkey  version 2.28,  is a browser and a mailer newsreader.
Think it has an IRC client as well.  Presently I like this better than
current
  versions of Thunderbird and Firefox.  It let  me put up text either
with icons
or as  text buttons for control of either the mailer or the web browser.
     Trying to edit this file as I explored the Werewolf.  Geany version
1.24.1 is
nothing like Kate.   Geany is supposed to be an IDE.
     Leafpad 0.8.18.1 is simple enough for me to use though and save the
files
back to my X: partition.
     The version of VLC furnished would not play sound or subtitles in
.mkv files.
Downloading a package of codecs will likely fix this.
     If you have older hardware but a x86_64 processor this package is very
complete and has an update of a good size waiting for an installation.
     uname -a gives me  Linux puppypc7374  4.2.5 SMP .
Which is the highest numbered kernel I have yet to run.
      The terminal is Urxvt v0.5.1 and you cannot copy from it.
The window to configure this opens wider than my screen and
had to scrolled sideways to be shut down.  I hope bash is part of
the updates.
     Time was easy to set.
     Lots of tools in every category for playing media or creating
files including for creating torrent files.  If you don't have enough
software this is binary compatible with Ubuntu.
     This is a great package and I bet the downloads waiting to be
applied to real installation would bring it further towards perfection.
     Sadly you need a x86_64 cpu with a bit of memory.
     The 32 bit version is stuck in the past apparently.

     I also ran 4Mlinux version 14.0 to remind myself of the 4 Ms, i.e.
Maintenance,
Multimedia, Mini-server and Mystery(games and ornament like penguins
crawling all over your page.  After starting the penguin pass-time I has
some
problems shutting the demonstration down.  This is incredibly economic
an it uses a ram compression techique referred to as z-ram compression
so that my 12 Gigabyte ram showed up as 15.75.
     The kernel is a lower number but i686 compatible.
     The desktop is an impressive photo, has a taskbar at the bottom,
a Mac style bar at the top, and a monitoring utility running to display
most of what anyone could want to know about the function happening.
It also has a menu from which all the tools can be accessed.
     The terminal is basic but doubtless others terminals could be
installed.

     Jim S. finally showed up about 1920 to discuss
the subtle differences between software updates and
software upgrades,  and  was kind enough to give myself and
Joseph P a ride home.

     One matter that I perhaps failed to convey to the attendees
was that at Office Depot you can get a 4 GiB USB key in the
form of a Penguin which looks a lot like Tux.  They have other
interesting forms as well from comic universe as well as a
USB mustache.
     The Penguin comes with a short key chain to keep
the penguin head with USB connector attacked to the body
with an insertable spacer.  These are priced at about $8 but
there is a sale on now and I got 3 of them for about $20.

     Now the next meeting will be on Sunday December 6, 2015.
     There will be one USB Penguin given away to someone who
sadly must show up to collect it.

     Now Werewolf is nice but I have gotten Puppy Slacko64- 6.3
today and will have that as well as other things at that December
6 meeting.
         Oh and a time saving tip.  Do not allow your Android tablet
battery to get completely discharged.  Took nearly an hour after
I got it back to the charger to reset all the information.

     Bobbie Sellers