[sf-lug] SF-LUG Meets this Sunday November 1, 2015 plus report of October 19 Meeting.

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Mon Oct 26 09:21:19 PDT 2015

   SF-LUG meets every first Sunday from 11 A.M. to 1 P.M.
and every third Monday from 6 P.M. to 8 P.M.
at the Cafe Enchante, 26th and Geary Boulevard.

     These meetings are usually lightly attended with a high for the
year so far of 7 members.   If you have a problem come along
and maybe we can help but if not we can usually find someone
who can.

     Meeting times are nominal so that if you come too late we may
have left.

     I expect to have the latest Kubuntu in at least the 64 bit version
and hope to have some other items of interest by that time
including later Linux Pro magazine(s).

         ==================================
      San Francisco Linux Users Group Meeting notes.

   I arrived early about 5:35 PMat the Cafe Enchante and started
to setup my notebook and its external hard drive

     Next Maestro showed up and he had an interesting problem.

     Jim S. showed up and Joseph P.

     I finished my setup with the WiFi configuration.
     And once I was online i stopped to listen to Maestro.

     Maestro has an older 32 bit notebook and has installed
a late version of Fedora.
     He was trying to install a fresh version of Kali to the hard disk
in a dual-boot setup.
     The Kali install script seemed to be unusable for this purpose.
     The Fedora partition editor could not come to grips with partition
  it seemed and resisted attempts from other live distributions to
deal  with it.
     I had my suspicion that it was due to the fact that seeking a
rapid solution to setting up partitions for Fedora he had chosen
LVM.  Jim later confirmed that was the case.
     LVM requires the use of special tools and procedures to  reduce
or change the size of a partition.  Once Jim verified that the LVM
was the problems I was able to find a reference online and e-mailed
the same to Maestro.

[Maestro managed to solve that problem once he was at home
without the online assistance.]

     So if you don't know Distrowatch has an excellent weekly
newsletter with reviews of distributions each week.  If you
have never been to Distrowatch.com then you might want
to look.
     Jim S. looked doubtful when I mentioned an illustrated
newsletter but was happy to examine it on my notebook.
He was right on the money with the LVM information.
     The illustrations are screen shots from the reviewed
distribution.

     I was glad to see Joseph P and he and Jim had some
discussions.

     The meeting wound up a bit early and by 8 PM we were
leaving.

     Any corrections to this report are welcome.

     Bobbie Sellers