[sf-lug] SF-LUG meets on Sunday October 4, 2015 and report on meeting of September21

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Mon Sep 28 09:32:29 PDT 2015

Hi LUGers,

   SF-LUG meets every first Sunday from 11 A.M. to 1 P.M.
and every third Monday from 6 P.M. to 8 P.M.
at the Cafe Enchante, 26th and Geary Boulevard.

     These meetings are usually lightly attended with a high for the
year so far of 7 members.   If you have a problem come along
and maybe we can help but if not we can usually find someone
who can.
     I plan on having TAILS 1.6 at the meeting and if anyone wants a copy
let me know in advance please.
     I also have Beta versions of Fedora 23 and Kubuntu 15.10
     Oh and several publications including the week Distrowatch news have
selected Mageia 5 as the superior distribution.  This has irritated some of
the folks on Usenet who have been having serious problems.
     I will also have late issues of Linux Pro magazine,

     Hope to see some of you all at the meeting.

         ==================================
The meeting of Monday September 21.

5:40 PM Arrived and John S was there before me.
I got busy and setup my notebook.

John had brought along a notebook.

Maestro was there shortly.  he was without a computer.

I booted up the Ultimate Edition Gamers version x86_64
from DVD and it took a long time.  While it has lots of
games and software to permit use of games from other
platforms I found it quite disappointing in that the U/EFI
was configured so that this did not boot.
     UE uses MATE Desktop Environment 1.8.2 which is
more useful than the KDE's Plasma 5 is so far.
     Could not change the displayed time but I assume
that an install would permit the proper time zone selection.
Pluma 8.1 is the default text editor here and it is easy to
use but not as versatile as KWrite or Kate.
     VLC is supplied with the distro and is able to handle
videos without further downloads.

     So John left about 7 PM, Maestro left about 7:30 P.M.
and I managed to pack my stuff back up and left about
7:55,
     So this was rather a disappointing meeting.

     Bobbie Sellers