[sf-lug] Thu 6/18: Join me at Sandstorm meetup & learn about app permissions and self-hosted web apps

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at sandstorm.io
Thu Jun 11 13:44:58 PDT 2015

I know it's bad form to reply to myself, but Jeff Mendoza just wrote a blog
post that explains Sandstorm way better than I did. Quoth him:

'I've become intrigued with Sandstorm lately. The way I like to think of
it, is a "Mobile OS" for your cloud server. Imagine if running a server was
as easy as using your phone. Want a new app? Click a button. No installing
and configuring databases or web servers. No fiddling with startup scripts
or cli options. It just works. You can run any number of Sandstorm apps and
not worry about things like conflicting version dependencies. The magic is
based on containerization technology built into the Linux kernel. The same
tech that is very much abuzz in other contexts, but it's not too important
how it works, just that it does.'

-- http://jlm.name/2015/06/10/running-sandstorm-on-google-compute-engine/