[sf-lug] Thu 6/18: Join me at Sandstorm meetup & learn about app permissions and self-hosted web apps

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at sandstorm.io
Thu Jun 11 13:03:58 PDT 2015

Hi SF-LUG peeps,

TL;DR: If you are interested in open source web apps, you should join me at
the Sandstorm meetup next Thursday & learn about an open source project
that makes open source web apps easier to run and more secure.
http://www.meetup.com/Sandstorm-SF-Bay-Area/events/223113702/

(If you can't make it to the event, sign up there to receive notifications
of other events.)

Sandstorm is an open source package manager for web apps, and it runs on
Linux systems. It makes it easy to start up Etherpad (or any other packaged
app) with a click. You can read more + try the demo here:
https://sandstorm.io/

Security-wise, it takes the Google Docs sharing model and applies it to
entire app instances, resulting in web apps that are private by default,
insulating you from app bugs. Usability-wise, it takes 120 seconds to
install and automatically updates itself.

I'm on the Sandstorm team, and we have a meetup at 6 PM in SF on Thu 6/18:
http://www.meetup.com/Sandstorm-SF-Bay-Area/events/223113702/

This meetup features a talk about the Sandstorm app permissions & sharing
model (which for security nerds, is based on object-capability security) by
David Renshaw. There are also and a hands-on session to see how to install
Sandstorm on a server, and a hands-on session on how to package apps for
it. Any web app that runs on Linux can work on Sandstorm.

P.S. More on our security hardening of apps here:
https://github.com/sandstorm-io/sandstorm/wiki/Security-Practices-Overview

P.P.S. I'm also sending a note like this to BALUG-Talk; semi-sorry if you
see it twice.

P.P.P.S. Sorry for the startup-tastic .io domain name. It really is free,
open source software, despite the domain name in the Indian Ocean.