[sf-lug] Good domain name registrar

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun May 3 18:57:14 PDT 2015

Quoting Jim Stockford (jim at well.com):

> The meaning I had in mind was that the person who is most likely to be
> persistent in a customer business should be the person who is the
> registrant.  Another way of (attempting to) say it is that the owner
> of the customer business should probably be the registrant and
> certainly keep tabs on the person who ends up being the registrant.

IMO, the Registrant should be the _business_, in the case of a
corporation or partnership (or LLC, etc.) -- because that is in fact
the 'person' that is persistant.  For a sole proprietorship,
absolutely it should be the principal, not someone else.

However, please note that Google, Inc. is fine with the Registrant being
the 'Dns Admin' role, which is not any specific person at all.
Likewise, Apple, Inc. has it be 'Domain Administrator', Facebook, Inc.
has it be 'Domain Administrator', Oracle, Inc. has it be 'Domain
Administrator', Adobe System, Inc. has it be 'Domain Administrator', and
Cisco Technology, Inc. has it be 'Info Sec' at their respective
corporations for their respective main corporate domains.  I really
think there is no potential for trouble that a stiff letter from
Corporate Legal wouldn't squash in a heartbeat.