[sf-lug] Good domain name registrar

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri May 1 21:10:15 PDT 2015

Quoting Jim Stockford (jim at well.com):

> I worry that some businesses are not themselves registrars; people
> using such businesses often rely on such business to register their
> domain names.

Yes, this is actually (if I'm understanding what you're saying
correctly) a separate problem from that of registrar choice, as such.
I would be inclined to deeply distrust any arrangement whereby anyone
except you (or your employee, etc.) register your own domain -- because
I've seen the sort of hankypanky that most often results, and it starts
with the paying agent listing himself/herself as the domain's
Registrant, which is the domain's owner for purposes of legal title and
ultimate control.

This would be like getting someone's help doing purchase paperwork for a
car you are buying, and he/she takes the opportunity to list himself on
the DMV paperwork as registered owner.  Similar problem.

Of all the things one could outsource concerning an Internet site,
the act of registering your Internet domain is about the most risky and
problematic.  So, just don't do that.  It's really that simple.  You or
someone working for you should perform the act of registration, so the
correct person or entity gets listed as Registrant.  Saves all end of
trouble.

--
Cheers,                      C.S. Lewis fan:  "I'd like to visit Narnia."
Rick Moen                    Tolkien fan:  "I'd like to live in Middle-Earth."