[sf-lug] update on Knoppix for next meeting and whatever happened.

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Fri Apr 17 17:37:28 PDT 2015

Hi LUGgers,

     I made the Knoppix 7.5 disk around the the 8th, 9th and 10 of last
week.
     I got an excuse from Jury duty,
     So this week I decide to test my work.
     I was shocked when only one on those disks could be loaded and tested
on my built-in DVD/CD RW drive.  So I started again and with fresh disks
made
more copies of the iso file.
     But on the 15th I read about a sale at Central Computer of external
USB 2.0 Samsung DVD drives, for some reason termed "writers".
       I went and got one.and got two surprises.
       Good and not good surprises!
     One was that when I got it setup on my USB 2.0 hub it worked fine
and all but
one disk was able  to be booted and tested out of all the Knoppix 7.5
and the
SL disks I had made.  That One knoppix disk loaded but did not pass the
test.
The test is at boot up and is either "knoppix testcd" for people still
running
a 32 bit system and "knoppix64 testcd".
     I also got the iso file for SL-71-x86_64-2015-04-08-LiveDVDkde.iso
which
is the latest iteration of Scientific Linux.  I had made what I thought
were two
coasters but on the new drive they loaded and worked fine.  It is more
up-to-date than other versions I have seen with kernel 3.10.0-229.1.2.el7.
x86_64 #1 SMP  and KDE  Version 4.10.5.  I have repeatedly tried to download
the full version with no luck.

     I will be bringing the Samsung external USB 2.0 drive to the meeting so
it can be seen by others and evaluated

Less than Good News:
     I have ordered a replacement DVD/CD R/W drive from HP and most likely
will not have it in time to install before the meeting and the price was
nearly 3 times that of the Samsung external drive.

     Hope to see you on Monday the 20th at Cafe Enchante,

     Bobbie Sellers