[sf-lug] SF-LUG meeting of Sunday, April 05, 2015

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Sun Apr 5 19:14:47 PDT 2015

Hi LUGgers,

     Arrived at the Cafe Enchante about about 10:40 AM
Had no problems setting up. Lots of  available tables.
Maybe the weather had kept people in this damp Easter
  Morning or maybe they were at church

     Ron W., Ken S. and wife, Maestro, Daniel and about noon Jim S.
showed up.
     I tried to create a bootable Flash Drive with dd but failed.
     Ken tried to help me but after I rebooted with the failed Kali
flash drive in place the Mageia went down and I had to go to the
root to  do anything
     Ken examined the Flash Drive on his machine and the command had
not worked.

     Ron W. got the 32-bit disks he wanted and more.  He and Jim are
working on setting up a backup server for the LUG and mailing list.
They have taken a lot of old hardware from John S.

     Maestro is requesting a copyof Kali in 32 bit version to go on
his flash drive.  I hope I will be able to figure out what is going on
with the command that should make a bootable disk using "dd".

     Jim got the fresh disks of CentOS-7-x86_64-DVD-1503.iso and a
CentOs-7-x86-GNOME Live disk which he had requested at the last
meeting.

     I managed to create the list of attendees in the root session and save
it to /home/bliss/Documents using KWrite from the root.

     There was a good deal of discussion between Jim and Maestro and
Daniel and Ken, badinage between myself and Maestro.  I think there
was too  much caffeine in the cup of decaf I had this morning at the
Cafe.  By the way the Espresso machine was broken there today.

     So about 1:10 PM the bulk of the meeting broke up and Jim gave me
a ride home.
     At home with the help of the Rescue Mode on my Mageia Install
disk I managed to get my notebook back to a boot-able state.
I had somehow managed to lose the last week of my journal notes.

     So if any of the attendees have any additions or emendations to
this meeting report just reply to the list, please.

     The next meeting at the Cafe Enchante will be on Monday April 20, 2015.
     I expect to publish a reminder of that with some notes.
     I may ask on list about the problems I have with producing a working
copy of Kali on a Flash Drive but not for a day or so.

     Bobbie Sellers