[sf-lug] Error message: wrong architecture (Chrome on Ubuntu - 32/64 bit)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Mar 10 21:08:24 PDT 2015

> >When I check the system settings, it says that I have an Intel Core
> >i5-42008 CPU @ 1.60 GHz x 4.
>
> You can check on Intel's site if that's 32 or 64 bit.
> You can also look at the flags in /proc/cpuinfo
> to determine if it's 32 bit, or 64 bit capable CPU
> (I'll leave the details as to how to do that as an exercise)

Second the long mode suggestion.    ;->

Looking at /proc/cpuinfo is also useful for determining whether a
machine's x86_64 CPU includes hardware  virtualisation features, those
being Intel VT-x or AMD SVM.  (Said feature must also be enabled in the
BIOS, before it will manifest in /proc/cpuinfo output.)  As with
Michael's post, further details on the specific cpuinfo flags are left
as an exercise for the reader.

> In general, 32 bit can run on 64 bit (but may require dependent bits such
> as OS, libraries, etc.), but generally can't run 64 bit atop 32 bit.

And, if you try to boot an installer for the latter situation, the
installation kernel will very clearly inform you of the reason it cannot
continue and will most politely decline to attempt any further action.

This should not be very surprising.