How to print source code from the command line

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Thu Jan 1 13:56:11 PST 2015

On 01/01/2015 12:32 PM, Michael Shiloh wrote:
> Happy new year everyone. I hope you all had a safe and sane NYE.
>
> I have some C code I'd like to send to my printer from the command line. In
> the old days we'd use lpr, but it was always a bit fidly to get line breaks
> and margins in the right places.
>
> Is there something more modern, perhaps something with extra features
> like an option to add lines number or syntax highlighting?
>
> I suppose a fancy new editor (like "sublime text" or "atom") might have a
> print button, but there are times when I just want to print from the command
> line.
>
> Surely there must be a way. It is, after all, 2015.
>
> By they way, Bobbie, is there any reasone we don't set up a Google Group, just
> for the purpose of using it as a mailing list? Or are there people on this
> list who prefer not to use Google, which is very understandable?
>
> Michael

     Well Michael, unfortunately I am one of those individuals who care only
to use Google as search engine.
     I do use Usenet Newsgroups but it seems few people know how to
access these groups which in the case of Linux is really a departure from
its roots.
     But we could try to propagate an alt.ug.linux.sf-lug  or we could
simply
pick a newsgroup like alt.os.linux.mandriva and use it.   There are Linux
newsgroups by the way where your query as to p/o of source code
would be welcome and elicit many replies.

     I suggest the group mentioned above because i am already subscribed
to it and
because since the collapse of the Mandriva company in France it has been
largely
empty with only a few posts about arcane Mandriva programs and what OS
to use when Mandriva is too far behind the curve.

     If anyone wants help in setting up a news.server account  bring it
to this
list and I will do my best as I certainly have made enough mistakes to
know what can go wrong.   The server I use is eternal-september,
properly designated news.eternal-september.org and it is a free text
only server.  If you want a binary group server you most likely will
have to pay.

     Bobbie