Internet Service - Repairs

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Wed Jan 21 19:36:14 PST 2015

On Wed, 2015-01-21 at 19:21 -0800, Alex Kleider wrote:
> On 2015-01-21 18:53, Daniel Gimpelevich wrote:
> > On Wed, 2015-01-21 at 16:37 -0800, Bobbie Sellers wrote:
> >> I am sticking with DSLextreme for my own reasons mostly financial,
> >> but
> >> also because
> >> when I have a problem they help despite my deviant use of Linux.
> >
> > They always asked me to reboot into Windows, which I dutifully then
> > pretended to do, since I do not dual boot. Such pretense saves a lot of
> > hassle when you have to call India. As for financial reasons, I suppose
> > the least one could pay with DSLExtreme is with their option (not
> > requirement) to piggy-back on an AT&T line (for which the least anyone
> > can pay is $3/mo for "measured-rate lifeline" service) at 768Kbps
> > download/384Kbps upload for $12.95/mo with a full-year contract for a
> > total of $16/mo. The closest thing Sonic has is an unadvertised 6Mbps
> > download/768Kbps upload plan with no contract for $19.95/mo plus
> > $6.50/mo equipment rental for a total of just shy of $30/mo (nearly
> > double) not to mention the ability to read e-mails using mutt/pine/elm
> > over ssh to their server.
>
> I don't think Sonic would ever expect you to do anything with M$
> Windows.
> In fact, if you are one of their customers, they'll provide you with a
> user
> account on one of their (I assume) Linux servers.  I played with it a
> bit
> early in the time when I was beginning with Linux.

Exactly. No calling India for Sonic, as I said a few nights ago.
However, they do ask that people who have been issued equipment not in
use temporarily connect it. The reason I mention this is that you can
"stuff it in a drawer" (Sonic's words) and substitute a Netgear DGN3500
reflashed with OpenWrt. If you do this, I recommend compiling your own
using a git-clone of the forthcoming Chaos Calmer release rather than
the current Barrier Breaker release, because that release came on the
heels of a rejection of a relevant patch to the upstream kernel, now
patched better.

.