SF-LUG - A CLEC is a CLEC is a CLEC

jim jim at well.com
Wed Jan 21 19:04:42 PST 2015

     (NOTE: people getting this email message
may get two copies, one per the list of
addressees and the other per the SF-LUG
mailing list, which is now back up.
     If you got only one copy of this message,
then likely you have not joined the SF-LUG
mailing list. Here's information about
joining the list:

sf-lug mailing list
sf-lug at linuxmafia.com
Information about SF-LUG is at http://www.sf-lug.org/
ETON)

---------------
     My understanding is that originally, post-
Edison, lots of small businesses got into the
phone service business. After a while, AT&T
won big, putting most of the competition
out of business (by crushing or buying or
whatever), but a few phone service
businesses survived and still provide
service (in remote, low-profit areas).
     Naturally, the original businesses had to
provide wiring, and that wiring still exists.

     In most areas, AT&T provided wiring,
although ownership fell to the Regional
Bell Operating Companies after the trial
when AT&T chose to abandon telephone
service in favor of being in the "computer
business".
     Nowadays, I believe AT&T has made
deals with the RBOCS to use the copper
wires (and fibre that's become the