Mailing lists using usenet newsgroup

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Tue Jan 6 11:33:13 PST 2015

[BCC some SF-LUG folk(s)][0]

I'll (mostly) skip the part about Google, but there are lots of reasons
not to do a "mail list" as a Usenet group.  Most notably (and unfortunately)
nowadays, most computer/Internet users are highly unfamiliar with
Usenet, and how to read/follow a Usenet group, etc.
E.g. if you think it can be rather challenging to get a newbie
oriented to and successfully using email and subscribing to and using
an email list, getting 'em to read and follow a Usenet group will make
it a whole lot more challenging/frustrating - for them, and those
attempting to get 'em to use Usenet.  There are many other disadvantages
(and certainly also some advantages too), but most notably for the
"newbie" factor, I'd be disinclined to recommend it as "replacement"
(or temporary replacement of filling or to augment) the SF-LUG list,
though it may be well suited for other purposes (e.g. fine/excellent
for those already familiar with Usenet and that like using it regularly,
or those sufficiently technically inclined where they'd likely quite
like using it and find it to their benefit - and presuming also the
other pros/cons were a suitable fit (I'm not going to even attempt to
cover all the pros/cons here nor more generally compare email or email
list to Usenet).

And "Google Groups" - though it does also include full Usenet content (with
some caveats - most notably means of access and hoops to jump through to
get some parts of contents), for better or worse Google has also rather
muddied the waters, in not making all that clear and obvious (and is both
advantage, and disadvantage) to users what on "Google Groups" is a Usenet
group being accessed/used (also) via Google Groups, vs. what is a Google
Group which is independent of and not used at all by Usenet.  Anyway, one
needs exercise due care on what one gets/uses, and how, to avoid unpleasant
surprises (okay, so that also applies to a whole lot of The Internet).

And note too, some of the other disadvantages, be it Usenet group, or a
non-Usenet Google group, it's difficult to unfeasible to fully back up
all the content (at least short of running news server and preserving
Unsenet group content "forever"), and if it's Google Group or
(non-private, distributed) Usenet Group, one does give up a fair amount
of control over the group.  And if it's "private" (not publicly Internet
accessible - like this not an email list, "just" email distribution list),
then the content isn't publicly accessible nor findable in search engines,
etc.  Basically one is essentially "just" having off-list email exchanges
(even if one is attempting to have it more-or-less look/feel and be used
more generally/shared).

Anyway, I'm also hoping/expecting, one way or another, in the
not-too-horribly-distant-future, that SF-LUG will again have a fully
functional properly operating list again.  Don't hold you're breath,
but I'm thinking that will likely be the case in the week(s) to month
ahead ... and *maybe* even sooner.

footnotes/references/excerpts:
0. per request (and good luck to 'em on seeing replies)