[sf-lug] AC adapter compatibility

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Tue Feb 24 21:39:37 PST 2015

And, back to the list, as I'm presuming that's where this was intended to
go to.  And yes, you make good point about the acual barrel plug or whatever
the connector is.  I was hoping that was covered by my statement of
"plug type" - but that may have been too ambiguous.  Plug family
certainly would've been insufficient to guarantee suitable physical
plug hardware match, perhaps I should've said "properly matched
plug" or something like that - and yes, inside and outside diameters
do vary, as also does the clear insertion length portion of the
plug.  They also do have maximum current ratings, but that can vary by
plug/receptacle, but if one is obtaining that as part of an assembled
power supply or device (e.g. laptop), one needn't worry about that,
as the connector used will handle at least the current used by the
device / provided by the power supply.

Also, there's somewhat of an exception on laptops and voltages.
Typically they're designed to accept DC voltages from about 12VDC up to
around whatever their power supply or input is rated for, notably so they
can use simple vehicle, and similar adapters, that are just direct
electrical connections, with nothing more than typically a cheap fuse
for some overcurrent protection.  So, a power supply of slighlty lower
DC voltage is likely to be fine - it may just charge your battery a
bit more slowly.  Another factor to watch if the DC voltage is somewhat
lower, is total power.  That would be Watts = Volts X Amps.
If the voltage is a bit lower, but the total power output of the power
supply is >= max power consumption of the laptop, you're likely also
still okay.  But that's probably even not an issue, as even if the
input voltage goes down, the current draw may go up, (or not, or even
down), but in any case the laptop current draw probably still never
has a sustained draw greater than its rated maximum input current.
This situation would be quite different if we were talking A.C. - and
especially AC motors and some other types of AC loads.  Also, if we
were talking something other than laptop DC input voltage, the
requirements might be much more stringent.  Also, this "wiggle room"
on DC input voltage on laptops generally does NOT apply to laptop battery
types/chemistry, voltage, capacity, etc.

So ... 18.5 VDC 3.5A power supply (with suitable connector and polarity)
would likely work quite fine for a laptop spec.ed for 19VDC 3.42A.  So
maybe it'd take your laptop battery up to 10% longer to fully (re)charge,
but that's likely the only difference, if any, that might be noted.
(time on the battery charge may not be linear - it may be closer to
proportional to the power supply voltage less the battery voltage,
battery voltage likely to be someting a bit under 12VDC -
the battery on my laptop - again peekin' at my log file:
Rating 11.1V 5200mAh, 58 Wh
... and certainly more convenient than pulling the battery out,
as I'm typing this from that laptop).
So ... if we guestimate a battery voltage of 11.1V,
and presume replacing a 19VDC power supply with 18.5VDC power
supply, we might guestimate increased charge time of ...
$ echo '((19-11.1)/(18.5-11.1)-1)*100' | bc -l
6.75675675675675675600
$
About 6.75% ... but may vary fair bit from that estimate, based upon
the particular electronics and charging circutry.