[sf-lug] problem : expanded desktop window retrieval

Michael Shiloh michaelshiloh1010 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 16:54:54 PST 2015

Finally had  a chance to try this out. Works great:

$ wmctrl -lG

lists all windows and their geometries. If all windows have similar names
(e.g. many terminals) and you can't tell which is the offending window, the
geometry can be used to identify the window that is on the remote screen.
This results in a listing of the form:

0x03800425  0 1973 332  780  640  t61b terminal

where the first number is the window ID and the rest are the geometry. Now
that I know the ID of the window on the remote screen, I can move it with:

$ wmctrl -i -r 0x03800425 -e 0,0,0,780,640

which identifies that window and then moves (and optionally resizes) it.

Thanks Dave, and I hope others might find this useful.