[sf-lug] BALE updates

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Feb 9 17:46:05 PST 2015

> On Sun, 2015-02-08 at 02:19 -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> > If you have time to do some checking on it again, I appreciate
> > anything
> > your sharp eyes catch this time -- now that I've actually found time
> > re-vet the whole thing from top to bottom.
>
> USS Augusta Ada: 3rd _Saturdays_, not Sundays.

Huh, good catch.  I stated it correctly in the 'groups' table (the
text below the calendar), but the template was wrong even though I was
editing it to try to make it be Saturday:  Because of the format used
for day-of-week storage (dictated by Python date routines), this is easy
to get wrong.  Day of week is stored as a numeric value where Monday is
zero (Europe-style weeks beginning with Mondays, and zero-based
counting).  So, I had '6' in the template and it needed to be '5'.

Fixed template.

Fixed 2015 event dates for May, April, March, February.

> Also, no link to the primary web space on FB (found in the Google
> Group posts).

Sharp eyes, thanks.  Found and added.  I notice that said Facebook
feature appears to be visitable only by logged-in Facebook users, which
makes it almost-but-not-quite useable as primary Web space.

> BAFUG: Uhm, that's not where Hacker Dojo is located.

Aha.  That's where it _was_ located, which is why that didn't stand out.
The city of Mountain View kept giving them a hard time at the Whisman
Road location, e.g., because of zoning restrictions they were forever in
violation of ordinances and subject to severe capacity restrictions.
So, they moved to 599 Fairchild Dr., a couple of years ago.

> SacLUG: Capital City Freeway South does not have a "29th Street exit" as
> there are at least 3 separate exits that spill out onto that street.

The correct exit designation for westbound (what I called 'south') is
actually E Street exit (Exit 7B).  For eastbound (what I called
'north'), the correct reference is N Street exit (Exit 7A).

> Also, "I-80" generally refers to the former I-880, while the Capital
> City Freeway is "Business 80."

I'm seeing mostly 'Business Loop I-80', but also 'Business 80' for short.

There's a further point I see, in looking at road references.  Although
it would make sense to refer to northbound and southbound freeway
directions (as I did), the official descriptions are westbound and
eastbound, going by the overall tendency of the road instead of local
orientation.

I'm tempted to add directions from the leg of Business Loop I-80 / CA-99
that passes south of downtown, but it's probably verbose enough already.
Locals probably know all about how to get to the vicitity of Hacker Lab
anyway, but at least I think my freeway directions from the leg of
freeway east of Hacker Lab are now correct and match the CalTrans
signage.

In Menlo Park, the appropriate exits from US-101 now bear the sign
markers Exit 404 and Exit 403.  It's a family gag to refer to those as
Exit Not Found and Forbidden Exit -- but I'll not burden BALE with those
gags.