[sf-lug] On hearing the sounds crickets make

jim jim at well.com
Sun Feb 1 18:51:28 PST 2015

[top posting, with apologies to those who may be bored.]

[Note that this thread deals with roles that humans occupy
in working with technology as well as some technology
itself, so some of the discussion might be useful for people
unfamiliar with some of this stuff.]

     I'm the listadmin, yes, never tho't differently; i respond
to all MailMan prods, which are mainly notices of posts by
non-members. I rarely let the number stack up to low
double digits.
     I'm glad to get the weekly dump of the roster and save
it in my special place.
     I'm not Michael's admin. My listadmin work is carrying
the hod of making sure your, and our, system is not overly
burdened. With respect to Michael's participation, I think he
should reply; I don't want that kind of leadership authority,
it's not necessary for this group.
     Forgetting reasons for past neglect, I now am backing up
the sf-lug archives, and have done so about a week ago. I'll
puzzle through the means of getting incremental backups
(given no reply to my query last week as to how the process
might work, and that's okay with me, not a big deal).

     As usual, thanks for the clarification of the environment that
cron uses.
         For those who may not be clear, "the environment"
         is an area of memory that stores lines of text in a
         key=value format. The key is often referred to as a
         variable. Every process running in memory has an
         environment.
         See my tutorial on BASH shell scripting
         http://www.systemateka.com/BashShScr.html
         section 3.6 The Environment
         Also see section 7.0 Inheritance, which, I hope,
         clarifies how the environment for one program may
         be quite different from that of another program.

     My comment re "the nature..." was probably too oblique,
my fault.
     Trying again: there is something of an ad hominem color
to some of this thread and occasionally other threads. My
sense is that this color is unpleasant for some folks.
     As listadmin, I see the unsubscription notices, and their
increased frequency follows such threads that have a
somewhat hostile tone.
     Please, Rick, I am not comprehensively ignoring you. I
usually read your and other people's comments as comments
to the group. Sometimes when I'm tired or busy I don't read
messages.
     If you want my response, it will help if you ping me as to a
read the message or may have figured it was for the group
or may have gotten the feeling that I cannot reply competently.
     Also, it may help to use my name and possibly write a brief,
pointed message.
     The above seems a reasonable request for email users
in general.

     As to inviting people to join the sf-lug mailing list, there is no
one I know of to send such an invitation. If members want to
invite particular people, please let me know and I'll do so.

     As to dual boot, I did set up some systems for dual boot,
but just as an exercise. My tho'ts were speculative. I decided
not to implement dual boot systems for myself.
     Thanks, Rick, for the suggestion that dual booting is
problematic; I haven't considered the topic for a few years,
reminders are helpful. It will be helpful to read a cogent
explanation of the downsides to dual booting; I know there
are people even these days who are running dual boot hosts.
I don't know of any problems, so I'll be interested in learning.

     As to VMs, I personally don't see a need. A host running
a bunch of processes works fine for my purposes. I have
participated in setting up VM systems; it's just that I don't
see a need for my uses.

     The idea that learning something new is beyond me more
exactly means I personally see no problem the new stuff
solves for me and my experience is that learning a fair
amount of new technology is a matter of fighting through
misleading or omissive or poorly written text. My thanks to
anyone who's contributed documentation, and some docs
are great (e.g. the man page for the dash shell is
outstanding, partly because the dash shell is compact,
partly because the writer has clear understanding).

     As to killing init, my descriptions were a stretch, I was trying
to express the fears that a newbie might imagine.
     Note that in that paragraph I explained that killing init has
the effect of immediately respawning init with the same PID (1).

     As to driving down, I'd offered in some message, perhaps
for some other problem. I'm willing to drive down or up and
anywhere else to help out. It's not for me to invite myself:
if someone suggests a date, I usually reply with a yes or
how-bout-some-other-time....

     Thank you for your suggestion to import mail messages
into Thunderbird (my current email client). An import/export
facility is not part of the default Thunderbird setup on Ubuntu
12.X (the release I'm using, one rev back by policy).
     Thunderbird has some add-ons that include an import/export
facility.
     I've not yet found information that Thunderbird by default
uses the mbox format, and have not felt sufficiently confident
  in my understanding of mbox that I can determine by looking
at the file structure on my system:

.../Mail/iris.well.com$ ls -l
-rw------- 1 jim jim         0 Jan 19 22:43 Archives
-rw-rw-r-- 1 jim jim      2692 Jan 23 09:23 Archives.msf
drwxr-xr-x 3 jim jim      4096 Jan 19 22:43 Archives.sbd
-rw------- 1 jim jim   1131631 Feb  1 18:19 Drafts
-rw-rw-r-- 1 jim jim      4197 Feb  1 18:19 Drafts.msf
-rw------- 1 jim jim 151663343 Feb  1 18:17 Inbox
-rw-rw-r-- 1 jim jim    259176 Feb  1 18:19 Inbox.msf
drwx------ 4 jim jim      4096 Jan  6 11:27 Inbox.sbd
-rw-r--r-- 1 jim jim       177 Mar  5  2014 msgFilterRules.dat

     I see directories ending with .sbd, which is similar to what
I have seen with Evolution (which uses mbox format), and
there are huge text files with long lines, also similar to
Evolution's mail tree....
     Given the discussion, I'm now guessing that Thunderbird
on my system is using the mbox format. There are also
some differences between what I see for Thunderbird and
what I recall of the Evolution tree....

     I'd prefer further discussion be off-list as a matter of
sparing the large majority of our 300+ users having to
discard or ignore.
     I have no wish to offend you, Rick. If there's anything
you want of me, please ask (good to name me and write
a brief, pointed message, preferably off-list).