[sf-lug] .signature files collection

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Jan 26 16:50:09 PST 2015

I wrote:

> Quoting Aaron Borden (adborden at live.com):
>
> > Two thoughts regarding your encoding woes. First, text files don't carry anyencoding information.
>
> Quite so.

HTML does.  The only reason I hadn't just converted the file to HTML is
that I had to work out the necessary tags/headers/etc., preferably using
HTML5, because it's, y'know, 2015.  (I have some canned Python scripts
to painlessly HTMLify text files, but they produce HTML 4.01
Transitional, because of when I wrote them.)

All of the signature blocks work just great inside the <pre></pre> tag
pair in new file http://linuxmafia.com/pub/humour/sigs-rickmoen.html --
except for one, which breaks for the hilarious reason that it was a
.signature intended to mess with the heads of people who use Web browser
to read e-mail.  This one:

--
<BLINK>Resize your browser so the following line touches both margins!</BLINK>
                           <HR WIDTH="75%">
                Best Regards, Rick Moen, rick at linuxmafia.com

...which in the HTML5 version, despite <pre> tags, gets HTML-rendered
rather than displayed verbatim.  I'm about to fix that by replacing the
angle brackets with HTML entities.  (There; that worked.)

File starts out:

<head>
<title>Rick Moen's .signatures collection</title>
</head>

<pre>

A nice, simple solution, as it turns out.  The RTF was an immediate
easy measure to make a longstanding annoyance go away until I could
get time to look up the HTML5 details.

But at least y'all now know that there are -plenty- of small, fast
editors that do RTF just fine.  I was particularly astonished that
people here didn't think to use GEdit, given how many GNOME-heads there
are around here.