[sf-lug] SF-LUG Meets on Sunday February 1, 2015

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Mon Jan 26 16:46:14 PST 2015

SF-LUG meets every first Sunday from 11 A.M. to 1 P.M.
and every third Monday from 6 P.M. to 8 P.M.
at the Cafe Enchante, 26th and Geary Boulevard.

     These meetings are usually lightly attended with a high for the
year so far of 7 members.   If you have a problem come along
and maybe we can help but if not we can usually find someone
who can.

     Meeting times are nominal so that if you come very late
we may have left.

     Now I am pretty sure than unless the new Linux Pro is returned
to me at the next meeting it will not be available but the guy who
borrowed it may not make it..

     So to keep some of us interested I found 4MLinux in two versions
an all-in-on of <400 megabytes and a rescue version of <200 megabytes
and this is version 11 of these very compact and versatile spins.
The names are  4MLinux-11.0-all-in-one-edition and 4MRescueKit-11.0.
I believe they are from Poland.  I had a bit of a problem finding the
check sums but with help from the publisher who has a blog with
screen shots of the distributions, I was finally able after a couple of
e-mails to get the data.  He replied with the correct information on the
first response but I was too stupid to see what he was talking about.

     I was able to boot the all-in-one version and it is a general purpose
distribution writing itself into ram and then enabling the download of
additional tools if the ones on the cd are not enough.

     I could not boot the RescueKit version on my machine.  I hope someone
will bring along a 32 bit machine to try this on.  Only needs a CD drive
to try to load and the all-in-one version.

     Also got the new Netrunner 14.1 and it is a very nice distro.

    The Kubuntu 15.04 Alpha 2 is not as nice as Alpha 1.

     Hope to see you next Sunday.

    Bobbie