[sf-lug] Cancellation, Pls.

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Jan 26 13:46:09 PST 2015

Quoting Stefano Maffulli (smaffulli at gmail.com):

> It is *a* problem (not *your* problem) IMHO that a large mass of
> people don't find how to unsubscribe from a list right at their
> fingertips. It's my personal opinion that RTFM was an acceptable
> answer 20 years ago, it's less acceptable nowadays.

Again, nobody told anyone to read a manual.  What was articulated was
that the consequence of not bothering to figure out how to quit the
exact same way you joined (which works), and not spending ten seconds
Web-searching the answer (which also works), is annoying a bunch of
people by being rude.

That is unchanged.  No matter how large a mass of possibly-ineducable
people show up, that remains true because base reality remains the same.

And if some large percentage of those people decide they'd rather
exclusively thumbs-up relentlessly upbeat 'status' updates on Facebook,
I'll personally not miss that lot, even a tiny bit, and wish them much
happy clicking.

> It's so less acceptable that people are in fact preferring to use
> abominable walled gardens (like facebook) because email lists are so
> unnecessarily complex.

Yeah, like, to unsubscribe from a mailing list, you have to click a
button and then click a second URL to confirm your request.  That's
terribly challenging.

> I don't blame you :)

And yet you change your mind on this a few lines later.  Perhaps you
haven't actually thought this subject through.

> It's not the exclusive fault of old-timers that some people are
> annoying others with trivial requests. I am just highlighting that we
> old-timers are not fully innocent either.

So, you're back to saying I, at some point, accepted responsibility for
screwups of arbitrary random strangers who may follow me?  No, sorry, I
did not and am not.

Yes, mailing lists _are_ too much for some people to handle.  Web
browsers are too much for some to handle.

This fact does not make me 'not fully innocent' of anything.