[sf-lug] Thanks are owed to Michael Paoli (was: Hi, everybody)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Jan 21 20:38:39 PST 2015

Quoting Jim Stockford (jim at well.com):

>     Let's say thanks to Rick Moen, not only
> for bringing back the SF-LUG mailing list,
> but for taking it on starting around 1995
> and maintaining it for about a decade.

Yr. very welcome.

Immediate thanks are owed first and foremost to Michael Paoli, who spent
astounding amounts of time figuring out how to repair the host's
software problems, after the two of us jointly got to the bottom of the
hardware problems.  (On the latter, in short, _two_ successive failures
of Intel L440GX+ 'Lancewood' motherboards happened back in August and
September.)

I'd have eventually dealt with the software problem, but probably would
have just punted on repairing the installed packages and just done a
fresh system-software build.

I've just put _three_ parted-out VA Linux Systems model 22x0 chassises
into my house's service yard, with their respective Lancewood
motherboards, two of those motherboards being the ones that fried and
one being extremely dodgy.  There's now a lot less junk sitting around.

The replacement system is a bit creaky, but I expect it to suffice until
I can do the hoped-for orderly system migration to modern hardware and
software.

At no point was SF-LUG in danger of losing the mailing list archives, or
the membership.

Speaking of the latter, I've just created and executed the following
cron job to send Jim the current roster.  It will run weekly on Sundays.
If it's appropriate to have the roster mailed to an other addresses,
please advise.

:r /etc/cron.weekly/mailman-rosters

#!/bin/sh
#
# mailman-rosters:  Cron script to mail out current Mailman mailing list rosters.
#
#               Written by Rick Moen (rick at linuxmafia.com)
#               $Id: cron.weekly,v 1.00 2015-01-21 20:28:01 rick

set -o errexit  #aka "set -e": exit if any line returns non-true value
set -o nounset  #aka "set -u": exit upon finding an uninitialised variable

/var/lib/mailman/bin/list_members -f sf-lug | mail -s "sf-lug Roster as of $(date +%F)" jim at well.com

I've already mentioned the URL from which the mailing list's cumulative
mbox (essentially, all traffic to date in a format that can be used, if
necessary, to fully regenerate the arhives on any GNU Mailman or similar
installation) can be downloaded by any person.  Please do The Right
Thing with that information.

TY.

I'm particularly delighted to have my .signature collection back
(browseable online at http://linuxmafia.com/pub/humour/sigs-rickmoen),
not to mention the ability to have good UTF-8 editing, essential for
posting på Norsk.  Like this:

Epplekake

Ingredienser:
125 g smør
125 g sukker
125 g hvetemel
2 egg
1 ts bakepulver
3-4 epler
10-12 mandler
2 ss sukker
ev. (eventuelt) 1/2 ts kanel

Slik gjør du:
Smør, sukker, mel og bakepulver smuldres sammen. Rør i sammen piskede
egg. Deigen fordeles over i en smurt, rund kakeform.  Rens og del eplene
i båter som legges rett over deigen.  Dryss over kakkede mandler og
sukker og ev. kanel.  Sett in i ovn ved 200 grader.  Stekes omtrent 30
min.  Server med vaniljeis.

Eat well!

--
Cheers,                         Saturday night in Toledo, Ohio
Rick Moen                       Is like being nowhere at all.