SF-LUG - Meeting of Monday 17 November 2014

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Thu Nov 20 13:39:20 PST 2014

hi LUGgers,

	Well I got to the Cafe Enchante about 6:45 PM
and had no problems setting up.

	Maestro was first on the scene followed by Jim Stockford
followed by Cynthia.  Eric and Joseph P. showed up. Finally Tom arrived.
	Jim was pretty tired but seems to have a good appetite.
The regular mailing list was briefly discussed.  No solution was
reached.  Rick Moen who ran the list is out of town so can do nothing
about whatever problem it had.

	Maestro and I exchanged quips by and large although he was having a
problem with updating his Pulse Audio files on Debian.

	Cynthia is havng a problem apparently in getting to a
Ubuntu installation on her laptop but did not bring said machine
along.  She was avidly consuming the current Linux Pro magazine.

	Several people seemed to enjoy the Linux Pro magazines I brought along
and Joseph P. carried several year old magazines away when he left.
Otherwise I would have left them for the other users
of the Cafe to enjoy.

	I lent Tom the current Linux Pro disk with Knoppix 7.4 and PC Linux OS
Full Monty version 2014.08 as the rest of us were leaving.

	PCLOS is one of the better rolling release distributions according to
the Distrowatch Weekly News which has reviews of current distribution
and separate assessments of the rolling releases.

	The Full Monty version presents a KDE interface locked in
a 6 virtual desktop configuration with nearly every tool in opened
directories with icons to start them up,  That is a bit much for
me.  It would seem to take a high end machine with a very good
graphics card with plenty of video ram.  I have this already on
a flash drive if anyone wants to see a demonstration at a future
meeting.

	Knoppix is well known as a useful distribution for various
problems or as a way to install Debian.  I have the iso file and
maybe a copy or two on disk in addition to the copy on a flash drive
for quicker access when problems arise.
	So when I lent that copy to Tom I was losing nothing and
I had already packed up at 8 PM when the matter arose.

	Jim gave myself, Eric and Joseph P. rides onward.

	The next meeting at the Cafe will be on December 7.
	I will notice it the week before the meeting as usual.

	Thanks for your attention.

	Bobbie Sellers