SF-LUG - Meeting of Sunday December 7, 2014

Ken Shaffer Kenneth_C_Shaffer at comcast.net
Thu Dec 4 20:54:08 PST 2014

Hi All,
My HP V3100 laptop's third motherboard finally cooked itself, so it's
freely available to anyone (along with the first two motherboards).
I took out the hard disk, and the DVD has been replaced with a
second disk caddy (one with the PATA laptop interface, SATA
for the disk in the caddy).  Power supply and 64bit AMD Turion
T52 all good as far as I know. Lots of other good parts.
  Laptop still boots, but smellslike something is burning.
  The other two motherboards failed when the solder pads cracked
on the Nvidia peripheral controller chip (a common problem).
They may be fixable with a heat gun to reflow the chip solder.
I tried once and failed, probably didn't apply enough heat.
I'll bring it to the Sun. meeting.
Ken