SF-LUG Monday September 15,2014 - notes

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Tue Sep 16 09:15:41 PDT 2014

Hi anyone on this list.
	If you know anyone who was on the SF-LUG mailing list
have them send me their name and I will add it to my very short
list.
I will forward any mail sent to me to be posted to my little list.

	Arrived at the Cafe Enchante about 17:40.
	The Cafe was very crowded with only 2 tables at the front
   open.  This lead to an awkward arrangement of tables but about
   7 PM a table opened in time for Eric to sit down.  Otherwise one
   small round table with 4 adults seated around it as I turned the
   notebook back and forth.  At some point my power cord fell out
   of the socket but it presented no problem until I was rebooting
back to Mageia 4.1 after getting Knoppix up briefly.
	A tall blond man of mature years whose name I missed was on the
scene by the time I got there.  He thought more people would be there
earlier but it only 18:45 when he asked.  Shortly after that Joseph Puig
showed up, then Maestro wandered in and about an hour after that
Eric showed up.  Joseph P. said that he thought he better start
coming to meetings.
	Maestro was having problems using a wild card in a shell
situation and eventually after trying to use a wild card in the
shell myself..
	Well I demonstrated the latest addition to my distribution
library Gentoo 20140826 livedvd-amd64-multilib-20140826.iso.
I think it is a great novelty to have a live (aka boot up and run from
the DVD and from ram) distro with the Gentoo name on it and the Iron
Penguin label.  This is a fine distribution and is ready for efi/uefi
installations.  It uses KDE and I figured out how to connect with
wap_supplicant(spelling is probably incorrect).

	Joseph Puig gave me some instruction in the use of the shell
in bash and xterm.  J.P.is one of the members that i hope will show
up more often.  Well I would be hard put to think of any member of the
LUG that I would not be glad to see.  I wish I could engage in the
activities that they are involved it but my health would suffer from
further exertions.

	The tall blonde man left about 7 as he had to return to the East
   Bay.  He was interested in Gentoo but seemed to be running a Mac. He
had been to a meeting at the old Java Cat coffee shop back   years ago.
   He asked some simple questions. and he has my email address if he
decides to get a copy of any distribution. Sorry his name escaped me.

	Eric enjoyed reading the late copy of the Linux Pro magazine
and spoke briefly about the last meeting of the Bay*LUG at the
4 Seasons restaurant mention 186 meeting in that place.
The Meeting on Tuesday is the final meeting at the 4 Seasons and I
hope that where ever they move they meet more times than they
have met before.  I make it over 15 years so they started, about
the time that they could get a Linux kernel to use.

	We 4 remaining all left about 8 PM and proceeded to our separate
destinations via 38 and 38L buses at least to start.

	I hope to read corrections and emendations shortly.

	Thanks for your attention.

	Bobbie Sellers