[sf-lug] systemd criticism

maestro maestro415 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 13:33:45 PDT 2014

Some things already covered but help 'might' be found here:
<
https://help.ubuntu.com/search.html?cof=FORID%3A9&cx=003883529982892832976%3Ae2vwumte3fq&ie=UTF-8&q=systemd&sa=Search

Or at least some further explanation (s)...
Scroll down toward bottom of page once there...

On Wednesday, August 27, 2014, jim <jim at well.com> wrote:

> On my laptop running Ubuntu 12.04.X
>
> $ man systemd
> No manual entry for systemd
>
> $ ps aux | grep system
> 102        987  0.0  0.0  25652  2576 ?        Ss   Aug01   5:02
dbus-daemon --system --fork --activation=upstart
> root      2402  0.0  0.1  95548 12348 ?        S    Aug01   0:00
/usr/bin/python /usr/lib/system-service/system-service-d
> jim      12614  0.0  0.0  13592   932 pts/4    S+   11:58   0:00 grep
--color=auto system

> ~$ ps aux | grep init
> root         1  0.0  0.0  24568  2524 ?        Ss   Aug01   0:02
/sbin/init

> From Wikipedia
> systemd is a system management daemon designed for Linux and programmed
exclusively for the Linux API. For systems using it, it is the first
process which is executed in user space during the Linux startup process.
Therefore, systemd serves as the root of the user space's process tree.

> JS: I think of the kernel as process 0 and init as process 1.
> I read the Wikipedia excerpt as systemd replacing init, i.e.
> systemd has process ID 1 and init need not apply.
>
> JS: I find the LKML link uninformative for my experience
> (i.e. I feel the need for answers to questions about the
> underlying scheme of things--kernel kicks off init and
> things go from there: how does systemd fit in, as a
> replacement for init or as PID 2 or what, and then what's
> the role of init?)
>

> On 08/26/2014 02:35 PM, Jeff Bragg wrote:
>
> Mostly more discussion:
>
> http://lwn.net/Articles/602579/
>

> On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 2:33 PM, Jeff Bragg <jackofnotrades at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> Here are a couple of links from my history that explain some of the
relevant issues.  The first link is an article, the second discussion about
it, as far as I can tell.

>> http://ewontfix.com/14/
>> https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=7210064
>>

>> On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 2:25 PM, Jeff Bragg <jackofnotrades at gmail.com>
wrote:

>>> Brian:  Yes, it does.  Sorry, I probably should have provided some
warning.

>>> Akkana:  It is light on concrete criticisms.  I've come across
discussions with more detail, I just didn't have the links to hand when I
sent this.  I'll try to track them back down and add them here.

*~the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear...*