[sf-lug] sf-lug website?

jim jim at well.com
Tue Jul 15 07:42:15 PDT 2014

     As always, thank you, thank you!

     All of your surmises about me are right.
I had tho't I'd let the contract expire and
then switch to Joker (my choice as of the
last eight years--I'm interested in any
alternate suggestions).
     I've taken your advice to heart and to
my schedule.
more thanks

On 07/14/2014 11:12 PM, Rick Moen wrote:
> [...]
>
> 1.  IIRC, every registrar prohibits transferring a domain at certain
> times.  I think those include the first 60 days after initial
> registration and the 60 days immediately following a transfer.
>
> 2.  Even though I no of no rule prohibiting transferring a domain away
> from an undesired registrar shortly before scheduled expiration, in my
> experience registrars become curiously accident-prone when you tell them
> you're taking your business elsewhere.  The last few weeks before a
> renewal/expiration date is the worst possible time for your incumbent
> registrar to get motivated to become clumsy and indifferent to your
> well-being.  Think about it.
>
> Therefore, I urge _never_ attempting anything in the final month of a
> domain you wish to keep other than paying The Man.  Carry out anything
> else _after_ your renewal goes through.
>

> 3.  I'm betting you don't know this, as I keep encountering domain
> owners who don't know:  _Every_ registrar I've ever encountered grants
> domain-duration credit equal to time remaining on domains you seek to
> transfer in.
>
> This means you lose nothing by submitting your transfer request whenever
> convenient, including 24 hours after renewal at your incumbent
> registrar.
>
> Let's say, for example, tomorrow you pay NetSol 2 * $35 to renew the two
> expired domains.[1]  Ka-ching!  Renewal goes through and
> sf-lug.{com|org} now show a new 2015-07-15 expiration date, with you as
> the registrant and the correct authoritative nameservers again.  Now,
> you might think:  'Damn, I've just prepaid 12 months, so now I have to
> wait almost a year again to get my money's worth before attempting
> transfer.
>
> No, not so at all.  If you initiate transfer to a different registrar
> immediately, paying for one year per domain at the new registrar, the
> new registrar will let you carry over your NetSol 12 months plus the
> year you paid for at the new registrar.
>
> I hear people making the error of thinking they have an incentive to
> wait after renewal 'to get your money's worth' all the time, and it's
> always simply wrong.
>

> FWIW, commodity pricing for com/org is US $12-15 per domain.  My
> opinion:  NetSol prices are ridiculous, and you're paying a premium for
> worse than average service.  I transferred away from NetSol ASAP back in
> 1998, and never looked back.
>

> [1] Upthread, I said you can renew a domain in the first 40 days after
> expiration for no more than the regular cost of renewal, but that's not
> necessarily true for all registrars.  It's certainly true at the
> overwhelming majority of them, but I can't exclude the possibility that
> NetSol is an exception.
>

>>> For any Web site to function and be reachable at a fully-qualified [DNS]
>>> domain name (aka 'FQDN') URL, the following constituent parts must all be
>>> working, and can be checked in order.
>>>
>>> 1.  Domain must be registered.  Check using 'whois'.*
>>> 2.  Authoritative nameservers must exist.  Check using 'whois'.