[sf-lug] Computer freezes every so often; system monitor shows CPU maxed out. Recommend CPU upgrade?

Michael Shiloh michaelshiloh1010 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 8 12:36:24 PDT 2014

Yeah, compiz is a hog. I've done everything I can to limit what it does,
short of removing it entirely.

Another symptom that I forgot to mention earlier: Sometimes when typing
text into an email (such as I'm doing right now) the letters momentarily
stop showing up as I type. A few seconds later they appear in a burst. I
compose my letters in plain ASCII text, not HTML.

Perhaps this is a useful clue, perhaps not.

I'll have a better idea when I run top concurrently with whatever I'm
doing that causes the freeze, as someone on this list suggested. My plan
is to set up a second monitor showing System Monitor and top, so I can
always immediately see what's going on when the freeze happens.

Michael