[sf-lug] Computer freezes every so often; system monitor shows CPU maxed out. Recommend CPU upgrade?

Ken Shaffer kenshaffer80 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 16:41:28 PDT 2014

On my old HP Presario V3000 (dual core) running Ubuntu 14.04, I see compiz
frequently taking 100%+ cpu in top, indicating that one core is maxed out.
Things pretty much freeze, but I can usually get to a virtual term and kill
the compiz process, then kill the lightdm -- session process so I can login
again.  I've been attributing this to hardware problems since I've not seen
(or maybe not noticed) the problem on newer hardware (with 4 dual cores).
Ken