[sf-lug] Meeting of SF-LUG Sunday June 1, 2014

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Sun Jun 1 14:09:55 PDT 2014

    Well this was an excellent meeting.
    I arrived about 10:45 AM.
     John S., Ken S., and Roy were already there

     Roy is trying to install to an older full-sized Lenova notebook
and decided to use  Kubuntu 14.04, Ken is assisting him.  The
install went very quickly and Roy was much surprised by the
ease and speed.

     Jim showed up at 11:30 A.M,

      John has several Pentium 4 3.2 GigaHz desktop computers with
  1 or 2 gigabytes of ram but no OSes and no hard drives, Jim will be
  taking several for redistribution and I decided to get one for
  future use.  The drives required are SATA. I will have several
  uses for it.
    I will point out that these are fast enough to use with Mythbuntu.
    John Strazziano has a lot more of these which he wants to donate to
useful people or to useful organizations.  So let him know if you want
to get one.

      Daniel G. showed up by 11:35  a very cheering sight as it brought
to mind
years past when many more members showed up to meetings.
      Shortly Yong showed up.  No special problems,

        Roy produced a Toshiba NB205 which he is having trouble installing
as it has no optical drive,  I found the instructions for accessing the
BIOS on-line and Daniel Googled to find the grafix chip set,

      Daniel diagnosed a memory problem, and tried swapping some of the ram
from his   Asus EeePc but that did not help.  Daniel assumes a motherboard
problems

  Eric showed up at about 12:05
  Jason showed up rather later to get the 2 DVDs and 1 CD I had written
for him
  earlier in the week.

    Ken tried out his new USB 3.0 flash drive loaded wtih Ubuntu 14.04
and it
loaded very quickly and proved quite usable through the USB 3.0 ports on
my new laptop.

      Roy thanked everyone for the assistance and i will point out  that
Eric gave me
both copies of Kubuntu a meeting or so before.

        The meeting finished at about 12:55 PM and Jim gave myself and
Jason a ride
to Frankenart in the Richmond where several other members had found free
hot dogs.  After Jim and Jason had eaten their hot dogs we added Yong,
and Jim gave me a ride home before going on with Jason and Yong.

    This was a fairly good meeting and encouraging to Jim and myself.

    Oh and I did not cover the last meeting as the the lock on my door broke
while I was leaving my apartment which made it impossible for me to leave.
Jim was the only attendee that Monday evening..

    Thanks for your attention

    Bobbie Sellers