[sf-lug] seeking laptop recommendations to upgrade from thinkpad t61p

Michael Shiloh michaelshiloh1010 at gmail.com
Mon May 26 13:09:02 PDT 2014

Thanks Ken this was super helpful. I spent a couple of hours yesterday
educating myself.

I'm using about 300GB of my 1TB drive, and lots of that is duplicate
massive stuff I should clean up. I'm confident that I don't need (nor do
I want) more than about 500GB; too much space and I leave it cluttered
with junk.

I'm leaning towards a 500GB SSD (e.g. Crucial M550) for about $300. It
seems I need to update the BIOS on my T61P with a hacked BIOS to allow
SATA2 speeds; the Lenovo BIOS disables SATA2 due to incompatibility with
something UltraBay related.

Faster SATA3 doesn't help me since the T61P can't do SATA3.

Next, I'll purchase another 8GB RAM for about $100 bringing my total up
to 16. That's double the maximum 8GB officially supported, but numerous
sites document success this way.

A suggestion was made regarding graphics card memory. My system has an
nVidia  Quadro FX 570M using a G84GLM core and a "massive" 512MB of RAM.
Of course this is soldered onto the motherboard and so can't be upgraded.

Finally my current CPU is a Core 2 Duo T7500 (2.20GHz, 800 Mhz FSB, 4Mb
cache). It looks like a T9500 (800MHz FSB) should work. The T9550
(1066MHz FSB) and above will not as the 1066MHz FSB is not supported on
the T61 models. The T9500 was the fastest available processor that could
be ordered with the T61/T61p.

I can get a T9500 (2.6 Ghz, 800Mhz, 6MB) for about $260, or a T9300 (2.5
Ghz, 800Mhz, 6MB) for about $100. (I could get the T9500 for less on
EBay but I'm afraid I'm too naive an EBay user and would get screwed.)

I'm not sure whether the high price of the T9500 is worth it, but the
$100 for the T9300 sounds good.

Thus for about $500 I:

* move from spinning disk to SSD
* double the amount of RAM
* upgrade processor from 2.2Ghz to 2.5Ghz and from 4MB cache to 6MB cache.

The trick of course is not to upgrade above some limiting factor that
can't be changed.

Do any of you think the upgrades detailed above would do that?

Another way to ask this question: Having made these upgrades, what would
be the limiting factor on performance?

The alternative of course is to buy a new computer. I've read reviews
and followed up on all the suggestions this list has provided. I'm not
sure I like what I see.

All the new T series seem to have done away with the mouse buttons, and
I'm afraid that I spend way too much time using my laptop to have to
deal with inferior clicks.

The alternative to the T series is the Carbon X1, but only if I can get
a gen 1, following Kenneth's review
(http://wiki.ylayali.net/doku.php?id=hardware:carbonx1). I presume you
can tell a gen 2 from a gen 1 by the lack of trackpad buttons. Cost:
about $1600, and having to find one is a challenge as they are discontinued.

If I need to hunt for a gen 1 X1, I could also hunt for whatever the
last T series was that used real mouse buttons. Anyone know what that
would be?

In conclusion, I'm leaning towards the upgrades to my old T61P.

Thoughts?