[sf-lug] SF Lug meeting Monday February 17,2010 + Mageia 4

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Mon Feb 10 07:30:36 PST 2014

     SF-LUG meets every third Monday from 6 P.M. to 8 P.M.
at the Cafe Enchante, 26th and Geary Boulevard.

     These meetings are usually lightly attended with a high for the
year so far of 6 members.   If you have a problem come along
and maybe we can help but if not we can usually find someone
who can.
     If I can get a fresh issue of Linux Pro magazine I will bring it
along.   That was obtained in time for the previous meeting

     I have downloaded Mageia 4 iso files in KDE flavor for 586i and x86_64
and these are both Live versions of only about 1.4 GiB each.
All isos are check summed before writing to DVD.  Mageia 4- x86_64
failed to bring up the KDE desktop as a plasma tool failed.   I was not
able to get around this with this Live version.   I tried the 586i version
and it booted to the desktop without problems.  I was able to use
some tools and the console but the KWrite tool failed to load.  I tried
to use LibreWriter but no luck with it either.
     To save the information I had to save the BASH output,
   from "uname -a"  which yielded the following data
"Linux localhost 3.12.8-desktop586-2.mga4 #1 SMP
  Fri Jan 24 13:57:07 UTC 2014 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux."
I was unable on the short acquaintance to correct the time.

     Downloaded the larger 3.62 GiB KDE x86_64 version and wrote it
to a DVD.  This is an Install only iso,  I booted it up to the usual
screen offering
to boot from the Hard Disk, Install, System Rescue, Memory test and Hardware
Detection.  I think the first option might work but since Hardware Detection
failed I decided to go no further with this.  Rather disappointing I
must say.

My machine is of course my Compaq Presario CQ60-215DX
Notebook PC with AMD Athlon X2 running at 2 GHz
on 4 GiB of ram.
     If anyone coming to this Monday or the next Sunday meeting could
bring along a laptop we could try the Live version of the x86_64 distro to
see if other machines could handle this better.  Laptop should have at least
a DVD-ROM player.
     Most of this information was posted to the alt.os.linux.mageia
Usenet Newsgroup.

        Meeting times are strictly nominal which means that I try
to show up on time or actually ahead of time, in case I have
to trouble-shoot my set-up.  We leave if no other  interested
parties show up up by 7:30 Monday nights or 12:30  PM on
  Sundays.  On the other hand if you bring an interesting problem
or discussion we may hang out until long after the nominal time
to end the meeting.

     Thanks for your attention

     Bobbie Sellers