[sf-lug] PCLinuxOS Start Menu icon disappeared

Morgan. morganw8-nb at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 6 10:03:36 PST 2013

Sorry for lack of proper terminology, I think the label "start menu" is really a windows term.  On PCLinuxOS, it looks like a green triangle with a couple of circles around it.

I was visiting my family in Massachusetts in September, and my elderly mother's PC was limping along with old XP (very slow, too much junk installed).  I decided to install PCLinuxOS.  32bit Mate (I think).  Worked great, ran well, and much faster.

I just got the phone call.  She did something to make the "start menu"icon disappear.  Alt-F1 still works to get the main menu.  Anyone know how this could happen, or better yet, how to get the icon back?
Thanks.

p.s. I meant to install a remote desktop package, but didn't make the time.  That will teach me.  Does anyone have any opinions or experience with either of these:
http://www.teamviewer.com
http://www.tightvnc.com/