[sf-lug] SF Lug meeting Sunday December 1, 2013 and Open Mandriva

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Mon Nov 25 10:20:52 PST 2013

     SF-LUG meets every first Sunday from 11 A.M. to 1 P.M
at the Cafe Enchante, 26th and Geary Boulevard.

     These meetings are usually lightly attended with a high for the
year so far of 7 members.   If you have a problem come along
and maybe we can help but if not we can usually find someone
who can.
     If I can get a fresh issue of Linux Pro magazine I will bring it
along.

     /Permit me to digress.
     ==================================
     However I have gotten copies of Open Mandriva for i586 and x86-64
& checked the md5sums of the downloaded .iso files.  I will have them
at the meeting next Sunday.
     Saturday, November 23, 2013 a note showed up on the Usenet
newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva, that this work was finally ready
  for release.
     So I got it downloaded after I read this and this afternoon I put it
on a DVD and it might well be Mandriva itself. But unlike any
version of Mandriva so far it booted OpenMandriva L 2013.0
     Which is pretty good lacks but some of my standard tools and is
running *Linux kernel 3.11.8 with KDE Version 4.11.2.*

     The live version is pretty good and the tools let me
access my home directory to make a few short notes. But the
Dolphin furnished is in an elementary state but with an hour
or so I expect it could be made to work in a two panel version
as I prefer. Missing tools included Kate, GIMP and Thunderbird.
VLC is hidden deep in the menus. The menus are set up to be
relatively short with the final item on several being "More" which
seemed a hardship to select then move the mouse further to
see what is hiding there. But I get shaky at times and that
seemed to be the case as I tested this.
     I doubt I would be installing to my HD soon as PCLOS has many
hours of my customization already done. Since I have things to do
that my customizations support I doubt i will give it a try
beyond this soon. Maybe if PCLOS doesn't move fast enough
with the kernel updates I might change my mind.
     OpenMandriva Computer Control Center was a welcome
sight and while the Video Card setup stuff has an added page it
still did a good configuration. They seem to have dropped the
test of the driver choices unfortunately. The software updating
stuff is still in the Control Center.
     The .iso files are only about 1.5 Gigabytes each.
         ==================================
/end digression

        Meeting times are strictly nominal which means that I try
to show up on time or actually ahead of time, in case I have
to trouble shoot my set-up.  We leave if no other  interested
parties show up up by 7:30 Monday nights or 12:30  PM on
  Sundays.  On the other hand if you bring an interesting problem
or discussion we may hang out until long after the nominal time
to end the meeting.

     Hope to see a few of you all next Sunday!

     Thanks for your attention

     Bobbie Sellers