[sf-lug] Automotive Linux selling well

Alison Chaiken alchaiken at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 00:20:53 PST 2013

Bobbie Sellers wrote:
>>      Linux is outselling the other systems by far.

I'm sceptical.    I work professionally and as a hobby on automotive
Linux, which is widely quoted to have a market share about 10%
compared to QNX's share of about 60%.  See slide 10 of the following
for what I know for sure at the moment:

The table oversimplifies, as many cars contain CPUs running QNX and
CPUs running Linux.   For example, GM's OnStar remains QNX, but they
are the leader shipper of Linux in cars at the moment.  QNX is a rough
patch due to the faltering of parent BlackBerry, but Fiat/Chrysler
recently announced that they plan to stay with QNX for their next

QNX sounds pretty decent: consider that QNX will merge in the
CRC-hardware-offload for network protocols that BSD is producing:

Anyone know if HW offloading of packet CRC computation is supported in Linux?

Alison Chaiken
(650) 279-5600  (cell)                       {she-devel.com,
"Sadly, in the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man has trouble
ruling.   Everyone is busy trying to take that eye out."  -- Bob Lutz