[sf-lug] Wed Oct 2 6PM SF-LUG Linux Discussion/Problem Solving at Noisebridge

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Oct 1 15:39:14 PDT 2013

Quoting Joseph Puig (jbpuig at sbcglobal.net):

> The SF-LUG hosts a general Linux Discussion and Problem Solving
> meeting at Noisebridge on Wednesday evenings, from 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM
> (or so) in the Turing classroom.
>
> Noisebridge is located at 2169 Mission Street, very near 18th Street,
> in San Francisco.

Or you could take a field trip to Mountain View.

Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2013 00:21:42 -0700
From: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
To: svlug-announce at lists.svlug.org
Subject: SVLUG Oct. 2nd meeting: Rick Moen on 'Hardware for Linux'

WHEN:

   Wednesday, Oct. 2nd, 2013
   7pm-9pm

MAIN PRESENTATION

  TOPIC:  Hardware for Linux

  PRESENTED BY:
    Rick Moen

  TOPIC SUMMARY:
    It used to be challenging to buy hardare to run Linux.  21 years of
    Linux and hardware history have created a few new challenges but
    mostly improvements on the whole.  With a few handy tricks and
    a few colourful lessons about hardware past and present, you can
    enjoy success, good performance, and long-term satisfaction in your
    choice of computing hardawre.  Our speaker will address the
    traditional server, workstation, and laptop markets but also some
    of the intriguing areas for use in 'embedded' computing such
    as DVRs and wireless gateways.  (If you elect to use our speaker's
    guidelines to avoid suckage outside of Linux, we won't tell.)

  ABOUT THE PRESENTER:
    Rick Moen (http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/) is longtime senior system
    administrator and member of SVLUG's Web Team, who also runs nearby
    Linux user group CABAL (http://linuxmafia.com/cabal/), meeting at
    his and his wife's house in West Menlo Park, and has been fooling
    with various Unices since the 1980s.  Having formerly been a technical
    employee at several Linux firms (Linuxcare, VA Linux Systems, and
    California Digital Corp.) during decades past, he stresses that it's
    not his fault and he has an alibi.

  LOCATION:

    Symantec
    VCAFE Facility
    350 Ellis Street (near E. Middlefield Road)
    Mountain View, CA 94043

    http://www.svlug.org/directions/veritas.php

  webmaster at svlug.org

POST-MEETING GATHERING:

  restaurant/diner after the meeting:  Frankie, Johnnie & Luigi, Too,
  939 West El Camino Real between Shoreline and Castro, Mountain View.

We look forward to seeing you there!