[sf-lug] machine fails to wake fully from suspend

Michael Shiloh michaelshiloh1010 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 29 08:36:12 PDT 2013

On 09/28/2013 11:08 PM, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Alison Chaiken (alchaiken at gmail.com):
>
>> There's no reason to compile the kernel whatsoever.   Either Ubuntu or
>> Debian repositories can provide new packages.
>
> Yeah, naturally try packaged binary kernels first!  It's perverse to go
> compile your own unless you have a reason to.
>
> I was actually assuming Michael had already exhausted his options in
> what (at least) Ubuntu offered in that department, but maybe not.  (He
> didn't specify what kernel package; he just said 'up to date 13.04'.)

Actually, good catch. I had not exhausted those options. Indirectly,
though, you seem to have prompted the solution:

While adding a repository for a recent packaged binary kernel, I noticed
that while I was using the open source driver for my video card, there
was a binary tested driver at the top of the list. On a whim I tried
that, and my problem seems to have gone away, over about half a dozen tests.

Thanks everyone, and I certainly learned from the conversation. First
try packaged binaries before contemplating compiling one's own.

Thanks again,
Michael