[sf-lug] partitioning/formatting USB memory stick

Ken Shaffer kenshaffer80 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 18 12:25:27 PDT 2013

If you intend to access the stick's data from a Windows machine, FAT32
would be preferable to ext, but then also depends on what data you store --
4G max per file on FAT32, so  maybe enough for an HDMI movie, maybe not
enough for a big data log.  I tend to use ext2 for my sticks, but I've
heard ext4 without the journaling is better -- no direct experience with
that.  It's the writes that will be the problem, they write an "erase
block" chunk of data at a time, and while finding the erase block size on
cards is trivial, I never figured out how to get it from a USB stick, other
than searching for the mfg specs.  The smaller cards' erase block size is
128k, but the big cards have larger ebs.  Never had a 64 G, so no ideas.
Awhile back, Alison posted something that made me think a 4m alignment
might be better than the minimal 128k, even on my smaller 4G cards.
Ken