[sf-lug] has ubuntu caused me to regress in wifi features?

Michael Shiloh michaelshiloh1010 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 16:13:45 PDT 2013

According to downloadcenter.intel.com (search for drivers and linux):

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/iwlwifi

is good for Intel® Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN

The download is dated 5/31/2013 which is quite recent

HOWEVER

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/iwlwifi says that

iwlwifi is the wireless driver for Intel's current wireless chips. For
older chips, ...  iwlegacy (for Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG and Intel®
Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN)

and as you point out, has been so since Linux 2.6.3 which is way before
the date of the Intel download link above.

I'm very confused.

I could try to uninstall the iwlegacy package and install the iwlwifi
package and see what happens.