[sf-lug] multisum - multiple sums/hashes in a single pass (e.g. check ISOs)

Will guacamolepandemonium at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 16:27:42 PDT 2013

Interesting. Just recently I was doing something similar but used a bash
one-liner stuff to do it.

dd if=/dev/cdrom bs=<sector count> count=2048 | tee >(md5sum 1>&2)
>(sha1sum 1>&2) >(sha256sum 1>&2) > /dev/null

Replace with your cdrom device. Here on Xubuntu there are multiple symlinks
pointing to the real device.

"count" and "bs" values can be swapped, but I've generally found the larger
the "bs" value, the faster it all goes, so I try to put the larger of the
two there.

The "<sector count>" is the number of 2048 sectors in the iso and can be
found by dividing the iso filesize in bytes by 2048.

Though having actual dedicated tools that make things easier are good.
Especially when they get packaged.