[sf-lug] SR. SYSTEMS ENGINEER, San Francisco, $120K to $130K plus

jim jim at systemateka.com
Sat Dec 8 18:17:26 PST 2012

Sr. Systems Engineer - $120-130k base + bonus + stock options

KIXEYE is looking for a few good Systems Engineers to help us scale our
social gaming platform to even larger sizes. We’re growing quickly, and
we’re in need of extra hands to help us scale to the hundreds or
thousands of machines that we’ll be running to keep our games the
fastest and most reliable for our customer base. We’re based in San
Francisco, and we prefer candidates who are able to be in the office for
the intense and complex interactions with the development, operations,
and customer service staff who will be working in close cooperation to
help us succeed.

What you get to do every day:
Manage and monitor hundreds of UNIX systems, and deploy new systems to
add to the army
      * Maintain security, backups, and redundancy strategies to ensure
gameplay continuity in the face of man-made attacks and normal
hardware/network failures
      * Write and maintain custom scripts to increase system efficiency
and lower the human intervention time on any tasks
      * Monitor and test application performance for potential
bottlenecks, identify possible solutions, and work with developers to
implement those fixes
      * Ensure projects move to production smoothly, create/assign
issues to developers for issues that do occur in deployment
      * Help maintain our application cluster through capacity planning
and monitoring with application of updates when needed
      * The ideal candidate is:
Obsessive-compulsive about knowing their stuff
      * Completely fascinated with the concept of running machines and
systems that serve millions of users
      * Personally invested in the systems that they build
      * From a background in large database or gaming systems or similar
markets
      * What you bring to the role:
Bachelor’s degree or a very convincing list of work that is relevant
      * Wizard-level with CentOS/RHEL and/or Ubuntu/Debian systems
      * Extensive knowledge of RAID hardware/software and
high-reliability, high-throughput filesystems
      * Configuration and debugging experience with the following
software: Linux-HA, PHP, NGNIX, Apache, MySQL, memcached, Nagios/Munin
      * Extensive skills with automation via scripting language (Perl,
Ruby, shell scripts – your choice)
      * It would be great (but not mandatory) if you…
Have Solaris experience (we’re always experimenting)
      * Have more than a basic understanding of Cisco or Juniper
configuration, switching & VLAN design
      * Were a developer on a relevant open-source platform of some type
      * Were a coder in C, C++, Java, or other higher-layer language for
those really tough problems
      * Your should…
Not be afraid of identifying potential problems and creating solutions –
we’re all really busy here, so you’ll be expected to be self-starting.
      * Work well with others – it’s a small team of very talented
people, and if you have a history of conflict with your co-workers or
managers, this isn’t the place to extend that track record
      * Have the ability to multi-task. Balancing a penchant for
perfectionism with the practical issues of managing many simultaneous
projects is a rare skill – do you have it?
      * Have excellent communications skills. Your documentation habits
are legendary. You speak concisely and are unafraid from voicing your
opinions in a constructive way in a group.
      * Be willing to put the extra effort in to make things happen.
Some days (and nights) will involve long hours solving problems, or
rolling out new games, and despite the pressure to perform there is a
high level of pride in our work.
      *

Chris Middlemass
Senior Technical Recruiter | KIXEYE