[sf-lug] [Noisebridge-discuss] about to purchase mini netbook

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Sun Nov 25 16:38:43 PST 2012

Elizabeth Krumbach writes:
> The only caution is the broadcom chipset for wireless, but
> it works fine with the standard proprietary drivers in Linux.

Wi-fi chips are easy to swap out, especially on the Mini 9 (not sure
if the Mini 1012 is as easy to disassemble as the 9; my Latitude 2120
is a bit more difficult). So if you ever get dissatisfied with the
Broadcom, you can buy an Intel card for $25 or so and swap it in.
It'll get better range than the Broadcom, too. The only tricky part
is the teeny delicate antenna connector.

As for whether you should run a lightweight desktop, that's personal
preference, but lots of people happily run full desktops on Atom N450
machines. If you've run a gnome or unity desktop up to now, you
probably won't change just because you got an Atom laptop. But
if you do decide to change, there are plenty of good options.

	...Akkana